Description

My blog page is a place where I'm serving the Lord through encouraging others.

About Me

My photo
Bullhead City, Arizona, United States
I am a 50 yr young disabled woman with many chronic painful physical afflictions & a illness. I am married to a wonderful man with 2 adult children. I grew up in & out of church. One of my Uncles is a recently retired Pastor . I have been saved since 1996. I love serving the Lord & fellow-shipping with my church family,family/friends! I started this blog because I was inspired and encouraged by a couple of friends blogs and felt the Lord prompting me to start a blog page after our Women's Retreat in August 2009 to use the gift of encouragement he has given me to journal what he is doing in my life and to pass on to others articles that encourage me and help me in my walk with the Lord. My prayer is that you will feel the love of Jesus and that you will be inspired and encouraged by my post. I'm just a servant Girl and a Broken Vessel called to be a Heiress of Light for the Lord. The things I post will be from my heart and things that speak to my heart. Sometimes I will just journal about Life,Family etc. My prayer is that my blog will be a source of encouragement to all my friends, family members and followers. http://heiressoflight.blogspot.com/

My Web Adresses

http://heiressoflight.blogspot.com/ http://www.youtube.com/user/HeiressoftheLight

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Destressing the Holidays


 I reposted a blog I follow for those of you who put alot of stress on yourself during this time of year by doing too much. I have been so guilty of that in
the past. Some of you have heard me say my painful afflictions (Fibromyalgia,Osteoarthritis,Neuropathy,Carpal Tunnel,Migraines,Tmj,Ankolosing Spondolytis,Hiatal Hernia,Gerd) &
my disease(Hashimotos Thyroiditis)  is a blessing,some ask me how I can say that. One of the reasons I say that is because of these health issues, I have learned to step back and see what is really important especially at this time of year & have learned to not over do it. My family and friends don't care how big or elaborate our Thanksgiving dinner is or that it is all made from scratch, what they really want is quality time with me & for me to have a good day(painfree & well).
I am thankful for my Family,Church Family, Friends & my new blogging Buddies.
Praying you have a blessed,stress free  Joyful Thanksgiving. <3:D




Destressing the Holidays
Posted: 20 Nov 2010 10:00 PM PST
candle light collage
As the holidays arrive, stoves simmer, and families reunite, the
Most Wonderful Time of the Year resonates in our hearts.  Our desire is to welcome guests to our home with beautifully adorned decorations, deliciously homemade delights and ambiance that rivals “It’s a Wonderful Life’s” final scene. Yet that goal, if not kept into balance leads to…holiday stress.
During the holiday season, most people feel a lot of pressure to pull off the perfect holiday,” says Judy Illingworth, LCSW, St. Luke’s Hospital and Health Network. “We have an unrealistic, preconceived notion that’s impossible to bring to life because of all the extra work involved. There are so many additional demands on our time, and most families today are already very busy. Between all the extra parties, shopping, baking, cleaning, and entertaining, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed, and lose the real meaning of the holidays.”
According to a recent survey by the American Psychological Association, nearly 50%  of all women in the U.S. experience heightened stress during the holidays. About 60 percent report feeling nervous or sad, and just over half report symptoms of fatigue.
When I read those statistics, I feel the Lord whisper (well, it might be more of a yell) that I do not have to be Super “Martha.” My home, my hospitality, my love for gathering family and friends together is a “Good Thing,” even if it doesn’t grace December’s issue of House Beautiful.
So how do we avoid being part of that statistic during this holiday season?
1. Say “No” to unrealistic expectations, engagements and entertaining that causes unnecessary stress.
I am not saying avoid hospitality, or extending generosity. We love to open our home during the holidays, but I have found a balance between unrealistic expectations that I put on myself, and realizing  people just want to spend quality time together in a loving, accepting environment. Three years ago, our family strategically starting clearing out unnecessary things from our schedule during the month of December. We were missing out on just “being” because we were so busy going, doing, going, doing. Doing “good things”, I might add, but things that distracted us from the beauty, simplicity and wonder that surrounded the holidays. I realized it was impossible for me to please everyone, but I was responsible for how I helped engage my family in pointing them to our Savior. Now, we spend a lot of cozy times during December with special traditions and heritage building choices that are solidifying a strong generational legacy. Extend hospitality? Yes. Stressful Entertaining? No.
2. Say “Yes” to a Budget.
Shockingly enough, 90% of people buy things they can NOT afford. Simply put, nine out of ten of you reading this post will make purchases over the next six weeks that you should NOT buy. How does that Green Eyed Monster creep in just when I feel I’ve squashed him. This is where that comparison trap gets us every time. When I am frenzied those last few shopping days and feel the need to put more and more under the tree, I stop and ask myself, “From where is this feeling coming? When have I ever felt “stuff” mattered more than relationships?”  When the New Year’s Ball drops, and  2011 rings through with your finances in tact, you will be so thankful that you remembered what really matters. By January 10, most people, especially children, can’t reiterate 1/2  of the presents they received, but they will remember those special traditions that occurred with family and friends.
3. Engage the Senses
Within our loving, fun, chaotic home, I am passionate about engaging the senses. Stimulated senses enable us to experience life. Our senses soothe us, comfort us, welcome us, alert us, nourish us, encourage us…and so much more.  When we stimulate the senses of those around us, it communicates love. Last year, I wrote a post about “Creating ambiance during meal time” I shared how every day, I light candles. Yes, you read that right. Don’t save them just for company. Your family is your most prized guests. Turning on the music, simmering hot cider, and lighting some candle are all simple and inexpensive ways to set a calming tone after a busy day just by engaging the senses.
I’m just getting warmed up sharing the ways I make my holidays less stressful, but suddenly,  I’m stressed just thinking how long this post will be if I continue. :) I’ll check in during December and see how we are doing when we’re full fledged in the middle of the season.
For now remember, as we prepare, plan and ponder the beauty of these next few weeks, let us not lose sight of the reason we gather:  to celebrate, reflect, and pour out gratitude for the blessings found through our Savior.
P.S. One of the things I am grateful for is Dayspring. Make sure you check back here as Dayspring will have lots of goodies on sale for their  “Pink Friday” event.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR IF YOU ARE ENCOURAGED BY MY BLOG
SO PLEASE POST YOUR COMMENTS.

THE CROWN I WEAR

The Crown that I wear does not tarnish;
It's not made of worldly ores. I don't need to polish and store it in a vault or behind metal doors. The Crown is a gift from my Father whose Son died so that I could be free. What a honor it is just to wear it, For His last thoughts on Earth were of me. The Crown has speacial meaning; It's not about worldly success. It stands for the Love of My Lord and Saviour,Which I wear every day like a Princess.